Seoul : North Korea on Monday fired two unidentified short-range projectiles into the East Sea, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said, the first such launches since it warned of ‘a new strategic weapon’ earlier this year. The projectiles were fired from areas near its eastern coastal city of Wonsan towards the northeast at 12.37 p.m., Yonhap News Agency quoted the JCS as saying. It added that both flew around 240 km, reaching a maximum altitude of around 35 km.
The JCS stated,citing the military drill that the North staged on February 28 under the supervision of its leader Kim Jong-un.North Korea is believed to be continuing its joint strike drill,’ it was not immediately known if Kim inspected Monday’s launches.’South Korean and US intelligence authorities are analyzing additional features… Our military is monitoring the situation in case of additional launches and maintaining a readiness posture,’ the JCS said.
The Yonhap News Agency stated in the report,’It is the first such projectile fire by the communist country since November 28, 2019, when it launched two missiles from what was presumed to be a super-large multiple rocket launcher’.